Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lakme Fashion Week A\W09: Anand Kabra

Anand Kabra usually has a nice concept behind his pretty dresses. I loved his spring-summer collection (which he showcased at the last fashion week) which had been inspired by the character Malena. So I took the time to go through his press release. This collection was named And the Mirror Crack'd. And immediately I thought of Agatha Christe (with me being a bookaholic, not that surprising). I'm not sure if Kabra had Dame Christie in mind while desiging this collection or not, but if he did, I couldn't see it. It could just have been a reference to the gorgeous mirror work that featured as a prominent design element in some of the garments.

Now to the collection itself. The colour palette had a lot of black, mostly as a base colour, with a few bursts of grey, golden yellow, teal and orange thrown in for good measure. I saw a lot of relaxed, semi-fitted silhouettes, duochromatic goemetric prints, and this rather interesting circular motif, which appeared alternatively as lace trim, as plain ole embroidery or with mirror work. The collection spelled sophistication and easy elegance, and to top it of, most of the looks was totally wearable. This being said, there were a few pieces that I didn't like. The golden yellow dress for instance, it was a tad too boring. And the mirrored legging were a bit too much. But the circular motif sari was quite interesting. And I absolutely LOVED the geometric print dresses!! Especially the off-shoulder one. So chic.


2 comments:

  1. Don't really know a lot about fashion, but this was a cool post. I like this blog a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sadako! I've been putting quite a bit of effort into it, so it's nice to hear feedback like yours! :D

    ReplyDelete