Monday, July 27, 2009

Lakme Fashion Week A\W 09: Pria Kataaria Puri

I'm guessing this would be THE collection if you're a fashion dilettante from the Middle East. I've heard she's got quite a following there.

But I still hate this collection. And there are just so many things that I hate about it. Like the pseudo-oriental prints dulled down by an uninspiring colour palette, that reminded me of cheap curtains mostly. Take that and add hair that's reminiscent of classical Greek sculpture and you've got a major culture clash. And the fact that she's taken a trend I love -- wide belts -- and made them look like bawdy curtain rings. Or the OTT psychedelic raccoon eye make up.

Added to all the monstrosities that walked down the ramp, she threw in a few cliches too. Like the gold bikini with the sari and the handkerchief-style maxi dress. And why, God, why has she used fur in a collection that's supposed to be aimed at hot desert countries? Maybe I just don't get Middle Eastern aesthetics, but Fur? Really?


No comments:

Post a Comment